Shark Stewards is a grassroots, self-motivated campaign to protect sharks.
Members pledge that they will not participate in or condone the sale, purchase, or possession of shark products. Efforts are geared towards establishing or supporting shark fin trade bans and raising awareness on threats to sharks in regions with trade bans. We rely on local leaders who are motivated to take action for shark protection. These efforts can be local or regional, or build support for our national and international campaigns.
The role of the Shark Captain is to:
- Lead local or regional Shark Stewards programs.
- Form a group to raise awareness for shark finning and support shark fin trade bans.
- Host a meeting and plan activities.
- Use the online resources to initiate awareness events, document supporters or introduce legislation
- Make a sign-up sheet/ email link for Shark Stewards members.
- Coordinate with the San Francisco main office.
- Develop a Shark Stewards Chapter Facebook page and other social media.
Current Shark Steward Local Captains:
- Anna Clark, Dallas, TX
- Claudio Garzon, Long Beach CA
- Margo Pellegrino, Trenton NJ
- Janet Thomas, Chicago IL
- Lisa Thomas, Grass Valley CA