Tailor the petition to your cause and direct it to the appropriate legislator.
We Support the Effort to Protect Sharks and Stop the Shark Fin Trade.
- The continuing practice of shark finning, which is the inhumane practice of removing the fins and discarding the remainder of the shark back into the sea, is having a devastating effect on shark species around the world.
- The practice of shark finning results in tens of millions of sharks a year being killed for their fins alone and over one-third of all oceanic shark species are threatened with extinction as a result of shark finning.
- Apex predators such as sharks play a critical role in maintaining healthy, balanced ecosystems; something that is necessary for the long term survival of our own species.
- Shark fins have no significant nutritional value and are considered unhealthy for human consumption due to the accumulation of high levels of mercury and other toxins in fins and flesh.
- Shark fins are the principle ingredient for the luxury dish shark fin soup. Increased demand for this dish is pushing shark species to the brink of extinction. Illinois contributes to this trade and thereby supports this practice.
- Shark fin soup is consumed widely in Chicago and other major cities. Last year 2000 pounds of shark fins were exported from Illinois.
- Measures must be taken to stop the global practice of shark finning and to ensure the responsible conservation and management of sharks.
- 99% of Oceanic Whitetip Sharks and 90% of Silky Sharks are gone from the Gulf of Mexico and sharks are being poached from US waters to supply the shark fin trade.
- Therefore, we the undersigned call upon the Governor and Legislature of the State of Illinois to support HB 4119 banning the possession, sale and consumption of shark fins in the State of Illinois.
Name Address Signature email