- This event has passed.
MPA survey and bioblitz at Monastery MPA with Bamboo Reef Diving.
September 5 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Snapshot Cal Coast Community Science dives in our California MPAs.
Location: Monastery Beach State Marine Reserve.
How: Dive teams can enter on their own timing, and plan their own dives. This is a socially distanced fun event to learn together and support our marine protected areas. Meet new people, make new friends (socially distanced please!), and add new observations.
Diving is not required to participate! Collect data in tidepools on iNaturalist and add to one of the three regional projects wherever you are. Please observe all rules at your MPA and take only pictures and memories.
If winds or waves are rough we may relocate to the Monterey breakwater. Buddys required.
- Note: This is a volunteer event. All travel, dive gear and camping arrangements, as well as personal liability and safety, are the responsibility of the participants.
- What: Community science dive (or free dive) with Bamboo Reef and Shark Stewards We will be collecting observations in iNaturalist as part of the MPA Collaborative project and Snap Shot Cal Coast. (You don’t have to dive to participate!)
- Where: Monastery Beach State Marine Reserve on the beautiful Highway 1, south of Carmel.
- DIRECTIONS from Golden Gate. About 21/3 hours north of the Golden Gate Bridge. MAP
- NOTE: No spearfishing or extraction is allowed inside the MPA. About the MPA
- When: Saturday September 5.
- Dive Meet: 10 AM beachside at Monastery Beach, Highway 1, Carmel CA. Second dive optional.
A signed waiver will be required. By participating, you agree to hold harmless Shark Ste w a r d s , Bamboo Reef and all of their affiliates and agents harmless for anything that happens to your person or your personal belongings while participating in volunteer activities during the Snapshot Cal Coast. Signing below you hold Shark Stewards, and all of their affiliates and agents harmless for anything that happens while conducting any volunteer activities. If you are diving you recognize that there is risk associated with diving activities, your are a current licensed SCUBA diver in good health and training, all equipment is in good condition and you accept all risk of illness, injury or death. Acting as guardian for minors, you hold Shark Stewards, and all of their affiliates and agents harmless for anything that happens to your minor child or their personal belongings while volunteering in any activities.
All Participants Must Practice Social Distancing and wear PPE Recommended under State and Federal Health Advisories.