- This event has passed.
Shark Stewards Camp and Dive at Timber Cove
July 11 @ 6:00 pm - July 13 @ 6:00 pm
Snapshot CalCoast Community Science event collecting data in our California MPAs.
Optional camp at Timber Cove, Sonoma and MPA survey and bioblitz at Salt Point state marine protected area with Bamboo Reef Diving.
Diving not required to participate!
Learn more about the Snapshot CalCoast and how to participate.
The NW winds are moderating but there will be some residual wind swell. Gerstle Cove is as protected as this section of coast gets and the best conditions will be Sunday. Novice, non cold water divers or rusty divers are not encouraged given the forecast, but conditions may change.
- Note: This is a volunteer social event. All travel, dive gear and camping arrangements as well as personal liability and safety are the responsibility of the participants
- What: Community science dive (or free dive) with Bamboo Reef and Shark Stewards We will be collecting observations in iNaturalist as part of the MPA Collaborative project and Snap Shot Cal Coast. (You don’t have to dive to participate!)
- Where: Salt Point State Park and Marine Conservation Area along the beautiful Sonoma Coast. DIRECTIONS. About 2 hours north of the Golden Gate Bridge
- NOTE. no spearfishing or extraction is allowed inside the Gerstle Cove MPA. About the MPA
- When: Friday June 10, 11. Diving Saturday and/or Sunday, July 11-12.
- Dive Meet: Salt Point beachside lot near showers at Gerstle Cove 9 AM.
- Camping: Come up for the day or join us camping. State Parks are closed for camping, so we are camping at Timber Cove the 10th and 11th. Below is info on 2 private campgrounds. There are still a few spots left at the beach near us if you can get through, or Ocean Cove is another nearby option.
A signed waiver will be required. By participating, you agree to hold harmless Shark Ste w a r d s , Bamboo Reef and all of their affiliates and agents harmless for anything that happens to your person or your personal belongings while participating in volunteer activities during the Snapshot Cal Coast. Signing below you hold Shark Stewards, and all of their affiliates and agents harmless for anything that happens while conducting any volunteer activities. If you are diving you recognize that there is risk associated with diving activities, your are a current licensed SCUBA diver in good health and training, all equipment is in good condition and you accept all risk of illness, injury or death. Acting as guardian for minors, you hold Shark Stewards, and all of their affiliates and agents harmless for anything that happens to your minor child or their personal belongings while volunteering in any activities.
All Participants Must Practice Social Distancing and wear PPE Recommended under State and Federal Health Advisories.