Today NOAA announced an expansion of Northern California’s Cordell Bank and Gulf of the Farallones national marine sanctuaries!
Each sanctuary is expanding to more than double its original size, broadening protections for some of the most productive marine ecosystems in North America. Within these sanctuaries one can find:
- the southern-most population of Stellar sea lions
- one of the world’s most significant populations of great white sharks
- blue, gray, and humpback whales
- elephant seals
- cold-water corals
- 25 threatened and endangered species
- 250,000 seabirds during the year
NMSF has supported this effort since the beginning, advocating before Congress, recognizing the political leaders who set the stage, funding underwater research expeditions, and providing grants to our local partners.