|In this issue:
Great White Shark night- Blue Serengeti Screenings
Fed Ex Shark Fin Campaign
Support Sharks, Marine National Monuments
Farallon Island Expeditions
I like sharks. I like sharks a lot. Sometimes I have a few too many. Sharktober is upon us! This is the season when we celebrate the return of the white sharks to our sanctuary after an incredible migration past thousands of hooks, shark finners, and other natural hazards. We don’t hate, we celebrate. Join us at one of our Sharktober science, film and education events in the Bay Area, on social media or live online.
Great White Shark Night at Sports Basement Presidio 10/11 and Blue Endeavors Dive Center 10/13. See this award-winning film and learn about local white shark tagging research and movements.
Fed Ex Fin Campaign to join other cargo carriers to stop shipments of shark fin and manta gill rakers. Sign the petition and join us at Fed Ex locations to end the fin. SIGN THE PETITION telling CEO David Bronczek to divest from carrying illegal wildlife cargo like shark fin and manta gills.
Sharktoberfest-10/13 an original Shark Stewards event with Blue Endeavors Dive Center Alameda. Beach Clean up, Beer at Alameda Brewing Company, Live Music with singer/Activist Jaques Ibilia, New gear and certificates by ScubaPro, Film and Talk by David McGuire on local white sharks and MPA research.
Farallon Sanctuary ExpeditionsWe are leading weekly field excursions into the Greater Farallon National Marine Sanctuary as part of our National Geographic Open Explorer project observing and monitoring benthic habitat and species. This fall we are using the Trident to monitor California Marine Protected Areas with the Golden Gate MPA Collaborative.
Follow the expeditions documenting our marine ecosystems and join us this fall for select Farallon Island Expeditions. This exciting new tool is allowing scientists and educators to discover and share our ocean experiences and increase data collection in our marine protected areas.
- October 20, 27 and November 4th. Farallones MPA Expeditions. Shark Stewards is running select public educational expeditions into the Gulf of the Farallones viewing and recording whales, seabirds and other wildlife. We are also using the Open explore Trident ROV to monitor benthic habitat in MPAs and share video footage on social media as part of a grant from the Resource Legacy Fund. Tickets are available
- October 8, Bay Day Bioblitz and Beach Clean up Day Shark Stewards at Aquatic Park, San Francisco 9:00AM-12:00PM.
- October 11 Great White Shark Night Shark films party at Sports Basement with Ocean Film Festival 630-9PM with film screenings, raffle and fun.
- October 13 Sharks at the Wildlife Conservation Expo, Mission Bay San Francisco
- October 13 Sharktoberfest Shark and SCUBA Party at Blue Endeavors Dive Center Alameda
- October 25 SharktoBeerfest Port Town Brewing Company, San Pedro
- November 14-17 DEMA Dive Show Las Vegas
- November 15 Screening Hidden Pacific and panel on Marine Monuments and MPAs Brower Center, Berkeley
- November 18 Run for Sharks, Newport Beach Fundraiser for Sharks.
- SHARKTOBER Events Calendar Check our events calendar for our upcoming events in October.
Help build our youth education and ocean network. Your donations go to on the ground science, education and advocacy protecting sharks and the ocean. Thank you for supporting sharks and marine protection Shark Stewards is a 4 star Charity Navigator, Platinum ranked charity and a proud project of the Earth Island Institute.