On October 25, 2013 intrepid swimmers from the world famous Dolphin Club will brave the rough, chilly and shark (un) infested waters of the San Francisco Bay to swim 3.5 miles around the infamous Alcatraz Island to raise awareness for sharks.
Help support our shark conservation cause by sponsoring a swimmer and helping protect sharks from extinction.*
This year we will offer the 1/2 mile cove short course by raising $25!
Our Swimmers Dispel the Myth Every Day
Over the 29 years (1934-1963) that Alcatraz Federal prison operated, 36 men were involved in 14 separate escape attempts. Twenty-three were caught, six were shot and killed during their escape, and two presumed drowned. Not one was killed by a shark.
Share the thrill of this adventure and learn that sharks are endangered and not as dangerous as we think.
Shark Swimmer Sponsor Levels
- Smoothhound Shark $10/Mile Shark Stewards membership, includes newsletter and invitation to special shark events ($35 )
- Soupfin Shark $20/ Mile A membership including a San Francisco Shark Sanctuary t shirt ($70)
- Leopard Shark $50 /Mile A membership, and a tagged shark named after you with a signed certificate from Shark Stewards proving you have adopted and named a living San Francisco shark. ($165)
- Sevengill Shark $100/Mile A membership, t shirt and a wildlife trip to the Farallon Islands lead by a shark expert from Shark Stewards.($350)
- Great White Shark $300/Mile A life membership, t shirt. Includes one Sharktober weekend ticket (Benefit Dinner at Fish for 2, Film Festival and Farallones wildlife trip). ($1050)