Sharktober and Sharktoberfest is here and we need your help!
Calling all sharks! Sharktober, is in full swing and we need the help of our volunteers to make a really big splash! Will you participate at our upcoming Sharktoberfest events and help promote, support and attend shark education events? Please say yes by clicking here!
The shark season is upon us and we have another year of exciting Sharktober and Sharktoberfest events. Although this is a celebration of the return of our white sharks to the sanctuary after their migration, its not all skittles and beer. Six years ago we created this outreach effort to support the now successful California Shark Fin Ban.
We are continuing the celebration to educate and motivate the public to support sharks and leverage other conservation policy including this year’s campaign for United Airlines to drop shark fin as cargo. With our partners we have helped leverage several hotel chains to drop shark fin soup from their menu in Asia and 24 airlines from carrying shark fin. Please sign and SHARE the letter!
The white sharks are back, and they have been feeding. I have been leading several amazingFarallon Islands excursions (see the Ocean Voices Blog). There is space onboard to join us on an exciting wildlife adventure to see whales, seabirds and maybe a shark! Discounts for volunteers!
Sharktober victories to Celebrate!
- With our partners Fin Free Massachusetts, we successfully passed the Massachusetts Shark Fin Ban (now 9 states).
- New Zealand announces they will ban shark finning completely aided by our America’s Cup campaign and Air Emirates New Zealand.
- West Australia will not continue shark cull- our voices were heard!
- Malaysian government condemns shark finning announces they will push to reduce shark fin consumption and the trade. The push for the Shark Sanctuary survives!
- The California Coastal Conservancy supports our Shark Watch youth education program this Sharktober bringing kids to the ocean.
- Shark Stewards partners with Earth Protect to reach a world audience to save sharks developing a broader reach through media.
October 9, Sharktoberfest Shark Life at the California Academy of Sciences, drinks, dance, sharks! 6:30- 10:00 PM
October 18th Sharktoberfest with the Sanctuary. Shark events and family fun with GFNMS. Costume contest, beer and schnitzel! 10AM- 4:00PM
October 11 & October 25 Sharktober Farallon Island Cruises
October 23rd, Shark Drinks with San Francisco Bay Area Blue Drinks Presidio Yacht Club 6:00- ?
October 30 Sharkoween with the San Francisco Green Film Festival- costume party, snarly drinks and a scary shark film. Vote for your scariest or silliest shark film at sharkstewards.org.
Copyright © 2014 Shark Stewards, All rights reserved.
thank you for volunteering or offering to volunteer with Shark Stewards
Our mailing address is:
Sausalito, CA 94966